A potential attacker scans for weak and easy to overpower individuals.
Whether you’re powerful or not, is mostly displayed through your body language.
Here are a few ideas that you might find helpful.
- Walk with confidence and purpose so that any person thinks twice before messing with you. Don’t walk like you are lost or strolling about, especially when you are alone. Keep your head up at all times so that you are aware of your surroundings.
- Keep your car keys in your hand so that you don’t have to search for them in your handbag at the parking. This helps in sending out a message of ‘being in control.’
- Do not be looking down at your cell phone while walking on a street as that puts you in a low power pose. In addition it also distracts you from your surroundings.
- Make eye contact with people as you walk. This tells them that you are surveying your surrounding and that if they mess with you; they’ll be identified.
- Learn to identify contempt on a person’s face. A one sided lip raise is the expression for contempt. This will come handy in identifying a potential threat. An attacker thinks that he is superior to you and can overcome you easily. He therefore will flash the micro-expression of contempt. This picture is an example of contempt.
- Take up space. When you keep your shoulders pulled back, feet firmly planted on the ground and claim your territory you not just feel more confident, you also come across as more powerful. This is a deterrent for a possible attacker.
- Be aware of your facial expressions. If you are showing fear or anxiety on your face it will convey that you’re not in control of yourself. Always, keep your facial muscles relaxed to show self-confidence.
Watch this video to learn more.